Anonymous / Chanology Montreal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Mirror's article about the CCHR

+2
SomeRandGuy
puck35
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Mirror's article about the CCHR Empty The Mirror's article about the CCHR

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:24 pm

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2009/042309/news2.html

Scientology
on Display
Huge anti-psychiatry exhibit isn’t
breaking any laws, says Con U

DENOUNCING THE “INDUSTRY OF DEATH”: CCHR’s set-up

by MATT JONES

What do declining educational standards, Nazism, the Columbine shootings, 9/11 and the death of Kurt Cobain have in common? If you passed through the hall of Concordia’s McConnell library building last week, you might think they’re all caused by the pernicious influence of psychiatry.

Organized by the innocuous-sounding Citizens’ Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), “Psychology: Industry of Death” is a travelling exhibit that spent four days in the open hall of the university library, arousing curiosity, controversy and at least one attempt to shut it down. The exhibit’s gothic imagery tries to link psychiatry to most of the major atrocities of the last 200 years.

“You see these black panels with big, red scary letters. It looks like a dungeon,” says Scott, a student who refused to give his full name out of fear of Scientology reprisals. “This is Scientology; I knew it right away.”

The CCHR turns out to be closely linked to the Church of Scientology, the controversial self-help religion founded by millionaire pulp fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard in 1954. The church has been accused of harassing critics and former members, leading some of its detractors to attempt to hide their identity. The CCHR, though, does not hide its affiliations.

“It’s no secret that we’re funded by the Church of Scientology. It’s the truth!” beams CCHR Montreal director Richer Dumais.

Inside the black panels is a stack of books and DVDs put out by the CCHR. A group of students huddle around a flatscreen where talking heads extol the perils of psychiatry: teenage victims cry about being unjustly medicated by their shrinks while psychiatrists, especially Thomas Szasz, a founder of the anti-psychiatry movement in the 1960s, claims that there is no objective proof for the existence of mental illness. Dumais himself is particularly concerned by what he sees as the overmedication of children in Quebec’s school systems.

“What we’re doing to our children might make them look cute, but if you look at a class of kids and all of them are sitting properly and looking attentive, is that really what a real class looks like?” he says.

Critics say these arguments show only the nicest face of their criticism. “It’s a bait and switch scheme,” says Scott. “Ultimately their goal is to eliminate psychiatry, psychology and neurology and replace it with their own techniques [the self-help practice of Dianetics].”

The church’s rental of the space caused controversy when it was revealed, but Concordia insists not everyone is opposed to their decision. “The response has been mixed,” says Concordia spokesperson Christine Mota. “Some people are upset but there are those who say, ‘Hey, get a grip, chill. If you can’t deal with this stuff in an academic institution, where can you?’”

Scott disagrees. “I’m embarrassed that the university put its stamp of approval on this quackery.”

So can any organization rent space at Concordia? Lyndon LaRouche? The Raelians? White supremacists?

Mota says it would depend on whether their show violates the university’s rules. “The university looks at the criteria defined by the government: is this group illegal? Do they promote hate crimes? You won’t find those kinds of groups at Concordia,” she says. “Here we are talking about an organization that is recognized as a church and as a charitable organization in Canada.”

Meanwhile, Dumais is determined to keep his feet on the campus. “A university is a good place because students are curious. The response has been very positive. Ninety per cent of the people who have come through here are very interested,” he says.

Back to top Go down

The Mirror's article about the CCHR Empty Re: The Mirror's article about the CCHR

Post by puck35 Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm a bit disappointed.
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Male Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

The Mirror's article about the CCHR Empty Re: The Mirror's article about the CCHR

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

me too. It's like a m'eh article

Here we are talking about an organization that is recognized as a church and as a charitable organization in Canada

no comment on that

So can any organization rent space at Concordia? Lyndon LaRouche? The Raelians? White supremacists?

Mota says it would depend on whether their show violates the university’s rules.

In this quote, Concordia seems to whore itself as long as we have the money and we don't break ''their'' rules

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeRandGuy Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 pm

The article's not that bad, but it's written by someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. I can't say I didn't expect that. For a paper to take a stance against something like say the CCHR, they'd have to put in some research on the subject. Expecting people to invest in research concerning our complaints is a bad assumption to make.

Fact is, most people just don't care because they don't know that they should care. Thus, when johnny review writer comes around, he's just looking to write an article that talks about what's going on, rather than make an opinion on it. It is after all much easier to be open ended and support: "This is very controversial: here's some points from both sides without any real thought".

SomeRandGuy
Cool enough to blow shit up with soap.

Male Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm not impressed, but after the "bang-up" job The Gazette did before, you kind of have to wonder how much money is changing hands to make Di Grappa not look like a total swinebag.
AK
AK
I have too many posts.

Female Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-05-12

http://img.4chan.org/b/imgboard.html

Back to top Go down

Post by EaterofCake Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:02 am

Props to 'Scott' for speaking up.

Still not happy that they publish the incorrect stance that its an official church.
EaterofCake
EaterofCake
Delicious and moist.

Number of posts : 1168
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:07 am

'Scott' is annoyed that the reporter didn't include any of what he said about academic standards versus academic "freedom".
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by EaterofCake Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 pm

"Scott" could write a letter asking to be fully quoted?
EaterofCake
EaterofCake
Delicious and moist.

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 pm

'Scott' is tired.
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by star eht Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:24 am

'Scott' need rest
star eht
star eht
The Crowned Clown

Male Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:20 am

''Scott'' needs /b/lack-up Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:06 pm

'Scott' thinks he did a pretty fucking awesome job with everything else. Cool
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:04 pm

"Scott" couldn't have been more awesome and deserves mad props. I just wish the Mirror had represented "Scott" better.
AK
AK
I have too many posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm

AK wrote:"Scott" couldn't have been more awesome and deserves mad props. I just wish the Mirror had represented "Scott" better.

Thanks.

Given the time "Scott" spent on the phone with the reporter, during which he made solid arguments to rebut Concordia's lame-ass excuses, he expected to come off as more than a cranky, shrill bitch with no real point, who was paranoid and afraid to give his last name.
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:47 pm

''Scott'' could have said ''Scottson as his family name. Or Valery Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:52 pm

"Scott" isn't even his real first name.
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Anubis V1.0 wrote:''Scott'' could have said ''Scottson as his family name. Or Valery Smith

That just smacked of Valery Fabrikant, someone who I think Concordia University has had enough of, thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Fabrikant
AK
AK
I have too many posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by EaterofCake Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:05 pm

"Scott" deserves moar caek. Smile

Scilons were loled at in a letter to The Gazette on friday.
EaterofCake
EaterofCake
Delicious and moist.

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I saw that. Though the author seemed to be supporting Concordia, I have to wonder if the whole letter was tongue-in-cheek, making fun of both the Scilons and the school.
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:44 am

AK wrote:
Anubis V1.0 wrote:''Scott'' could have said ''Scottson as his family name. Or Valery Smith

That just smacked of Valery Fabrikant, someone who I think Concordia University has had enough of, thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valery_Fabrikant

Shocked Embarassed Shocked

This is really a fucked up coincidence cause this name came out of nowhere in my head and the name Valery Smith is in fact the name of a REAL CLASSMATE I knew several years ago. Really fucked up coincidence. You can believe it or not it really is the name of someone I knew back then

Back to top Go down

Post by AK Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:35 am

I totally believe you, I just thought it deseved a mention.

I know a little too much about school shootings, anyway.
AK
AK
I have too many posts.

Back to top Go down

Post by EaterofCake Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:37 pm

puck35 wrote:I saw that. Though the author seemed to be supporting Concordia, I have to wonder if the whole letter was tongue-in-cheek, making fun of both the Scilons and the school.
That's how I read it too, as making fun of them both.
EaterofCake
EaterofCake
Delicious and moist.

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Letters to the Mirror on last week's article:

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2009/043009/letters.html
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by syb Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm

cool
syb
syb
Fucking Awesome

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by puck35 Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm

The letter in this week's edition seems like it could have been written by one of us...

Follow the money

[Re: “Scientology on Display,”
News, April 23] “It’s no secret that we’re funded by the Church of Scientology. It’s the truth!” beams CCHR Montreal director Richer Dumais. Well, why were they saying in 2007 that they were a “totally independent organization?” [canoe.com/infos/quebeccanada/archives/2008/04/20080425-204310.html]

“Denis Côté affirme cependant que son organisme n’a aucun lien financier avec l’Église de scientologie. ‘Ce sont deux corporations différentes et indépendantes. Le CCDH est financé par nos 10 000 donateurs.’”

You only lie when you have something to hide.

>>Richard

http://www.montrealmirror.com/2009/050709/letters.html
puck35
puck35
MMMAAANNNOOOOOOONNN!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next